Eglise Saint-Mammès


Patrimoine culturel

Dannemois’ church originality is mostly because of its Gothic choir which collapsed in 1900 and gives the building an astonishing shape.

rue des Francs tireurs
91490 Dannemois
06 88 57 62 12
Add to roadbook
The construction of the church of Dannemois started at the end of the 11th century. The nave and the bell tower both are from this period and have a typical Roman style from the Gâtinais. They were also both built in sandstone found in the forests surrounding. The parish was part of the diocese of Sens at the time and until the French Revolution. However, the Gothic style choir was built during the 14th century. Sadly, it was damaged by the time, wars, fires and bad weather and it collapsed on the 1st of January 1900. This magnificent Gothic choir represented half of the church’s surface. Its ruins can still be seen nowadays and the lower part of the bell tower is used as the choir.

The side portal was built during the 15th century and is protected by a canopy. The baptismal font made of sandstone is dating back from the Renaissance and is finely engraved with interlacings inspired by illumination and jewellery. Two tombstones are visible inside the church and were found during the 60s, hidden under the ruins of the choir. One of those tombstones belongs to André Pailler who was a lord of Dannemois.

Thanks to several works done inside the church, some coal’s traces were found that helped to identify that the church survived three fires throughout its history : by Navarrans during the Hundred Years War, then during the civil war called la Fronde, and finally, by Prussians in 1870.

Since 2005, a statue of Saint-Mammès can be seen inside the church. It was made by a local sculptor called Jean-Pierre Julien. In 2009, the church was restored and a large stained-glass window was added. It has a view of the Gothic style ruins which gives an impression of depth and majesty. The window represents the scale of Jacob connecting the sky to heaven. The nave and the bell tower were classified as part of the Monuments Historiques in 1926.

This small church is dedicated to Saint-Mammès (Saint Mammes), a martyr from Cappadocia in Turkey who lived during the 3rd century. He is the hero of numerous legends because of his death and the tortures he suffered. He was well known for his talent with animals. He died at the age of 16 and is the patron saint for people suffering from a fracture and for breast-fed babies.

SOURCE: Mairie de Dannemois, “Le Patrimoine Religieux de Milly-la-Forêt et de la Communauté de Communes des 2 Vallées” des Amis de Milly-en-Gâtinais et Environs, Parc Naturel Régional du Gâtinais Français

Prestations, conforts et services

  • French