Saint-Denis Church

Moigny-sur-École

Saint-Denis Church

The church of Moigny changed a lot throughout the centuries. Several curiosities can be seen inside of it.

The church of Moigny-sur-École was built during the 12th century, when it was the first Gothic age. However, some traces of Roman art were found on the altar. The church was greatly damaged during the Hundred Years War which led to a rebuilding of the church at the end of the 15th century. The bell tower was totally rebuilt during the 16th century. Those numerous works throughout the centuries gave a dissymmetrical look to the church. The only vestiges remaining of the 12th century’s church are a part of the arches.

All parts of the church are made of different architectural styles and the inside is full of decoration, especially a magnificent fresco representing the education of Virgin Mary by Sainte Anne. The modillion cornice of the apse is adorned with a frieze, which is extremely rare in the Gâtinais, also it is one of the oldest parts of the church. The frieze is a representation of 40 human faces who are the elders of the Apocalypse, but only 32 faces are still visible nowadays.

Inside the church, a fresco of the education of Virgin Mary is located on the spandrel, near the transept. It can hardly be seen nowadays. This fresco is quite original as it represents the Earth as flat. It is supposed that the fresco was made before 1492 and the European discovery of America when people still believed the Earth was flat.

The church and several pieces of furniture (the bell, some statues, a painting of the pilgrims of Emmaus) were classified as part of the Monuments Historiques in 1926. The stained-glass windows are contemporary because they were made in 2006 when the church was restored, also they are inspired by important moments from the Bible.

The church of Moigny is dedicated to Saint-Denis (Saint Denis) also known as Saint Denis of Paris. He lived during the 3rd century and was from Italy. He was the first bishop of Paris. The legend goes that he died as a martyr and beheaded with other saints in Montmartre and then was buried in Saint-Denis. The basilica Saint-Denis was built at the place where he was buried. This basilica is also the place where most Kings and Queens of France are buried. Saint Denis is always represented holding his own head in his hands. He is the secondary patron saint for the French monarchy.

SOURCE: Mairie de Moigny-sur-École, “Le Patrimoine Religieux de Milly-la-Forêt et de la Communauté de Communes des 2 Vallées” des Amis de Milly-en-Gâtinais et Environs, Parc Naturel Régional du Gâtinais Français
  • French

Position

Opening times

From 01/01 to 31/12, daily.